Friday, March 21, 2014

Karibu Kenya! You are both fatter and whiter...

   Hi there. Well, we made it back to Lodwar, Kenya.  It only took 3 continents, 3 airplanes, and a few thousand dollars and a constant battle for inner ear equilibrium (and an emergency vomiting plan) for Andi and myself on the smaller plane....but we are here. We found our house and compound in good order. So thankful for a faithful staff to help us.  All our friends say the same thing when greeting us, "You have both grown so fat and white!". Yikes. Really, after the 3rd or 4th time we were quite motivated to restart our 5 day a week morning exercise routine. And a bit of tanning! Akai did wonderful while we were gone! Glad to find her well and give her tons of hugs....and gifts! And to our pleasant surprise we found a new kitten and 8 new ducklings. Who doesn't love that?!?
   When we arrived to our house, I found a hot supper and chocolate cake waiting for us. And a "Welcome Home" sign. I nearly cried. And once the motion sickness crept away, we certainly devoured the dinner and belated birthday cake for Taylor. Thanks Dave and Amy.
   We are all so glad to be back HOME. I say "home" with the deepest belief that "home really is where the heart is." Our time in the US was so wonderful. Thanks to ALL the people who made that happen. Grateful to God for putting so many amazing folks in our lives. It was so good for Taylor and I to have some time to step out of our current journey and have a new look at this time in our lives with a little clarity and hopefully a bit more acquired wisdom. As in the case of the saying "You can't see the forest for the trees." Well, we stepped out of the trees for a bit and had some long, deep thoughts and conversations about the "forest of our lives". It was much needed.
   I have spent the week getting unpacked, cleaning out, and enjoying being back in my kitchen. I spent yesterday in my apron doing "prep" work. I have to make many of the staples I use. I made instant oatmeal, yogurt, bread, baking mix, brown sugar,sour cream and buttermilk. I froze tomatoes I roasted, chopped onions and bell peppers and smoothie supplies. Not to mention I made lunch and turkey tacos for dinner. I also labeled my creations and supplies in an orderly and cute way. Yeah, I was tired. But it felt great. Today's project is getting the school room ready for Monday.
   Publishing this blog post is also on my list. And I want to help the girls catch the ducklings so we can play with them. So the blog is nearly done. I sorted the beans I am cooking today while waiting on updates, internet and pictures to download. Welcome back Leigh Ann!
   I think our sentiments about this return to Lodwar and attitude can be summed up in a situation that occurred at the breakfast table this morning. Taylor, apon having just fished a tiny roach out of the syrup we made and he poured on his pancakes...responded "Let's do this!". And he then picked up his fork ate his delicious breakfast and was ready for the day. I love him!

"Let's do this!"

          (please excuse the pictures below, I forgot my nice camera in the US. Phone pictures. boo!) 

The sign from Amy and Dave. 

Ducklings! Just a side note, I was attacked by the mother duck after taking this shot.
 She won. I ran away screaming "Stop Snow! Stop Snow! I threw my shoe at her. 

Our kitties. "Copy cats" you might say, as they are a nearly identical mother and baby.

This Kitten is a true African. It has like 8 names. Clyde, Baby Cat, Akai... 

Freedom!!!! They are so happy to be back to the serious business of playing in the shade trees.
"I like it here so much better than in America." -Lucy 

Sorting beans and blogging. Small stones and bugs are generally not invited to dinner :)

This is my view from my computer. Too bad there is not an audio.
Birds, monkeys, kids, the wind...


 

1 comment:

  1. Loved hearing from you!!!! Glad y'all are adjusted! Are you using your same phone from before?? Want to the txt!!! Miss y'all! Love nat

    ReplyDelete